Please note than we have temporarily stopped our activities on the farm.
Braised Roast Beef
Suitable for the two roasts in your inbox, shoulder blade roast and chuck roast.
For the perfect braised roast, here is a simple and tasty recipe inspired by Antoine’s mother.
Ingredients (4-8 servings)
- Shoulder roast or other (2-4 pounds)
- Olive oil and butter (to sear the meat) or duck fat
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup of onions or leeks
- 1 tbsp. fresh or dried savory
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup mushrooms, halved
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Take your roast out of the fridge about 30 minutes before cooking. Pat dry the roast with paper towels. Then coat with salt and pepper.
- In a cast iron skillet, sauté the onions in olive oil and butter for 5 minutes. Make a hole in the center and place your roast to sear, allow 2 minutes for each side.
- Place your roast in a dutchoven. The dish should be large enough to add vegetables.
- Add savory, salt and pepper to taste and water halfway up the roast.
- Cook your roast with lid on for 4-5 hours, basting every hour.
- During the last hour of cooking, add the carrots and mushrooms. You can replace by any vegetables of your liking, i.e parsnips, squash and turnips.
For a quick homemade sauce, melt 2 tbsp. of butter in a small saucepan, add 2 tbsp of flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add 1 ½ cups broth that you have previously removed from the roast. Stir with a whisk until the sauce has thickened and season to taste.