Please note than we have temporarily stopped our activities on the farm.
Ice Cidre Veal Chuck Roast
Ingredients (4 to 6 servings)
- 1 veal chuck roast
- 3 cloves of garlic (unpeeled !)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup pancetta, chopped
- 150 ml white wine
- 125 ml of Ice Cider
- 350 ml of veal stock (this is not a broth but rather the much more condensed version)
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh tarragon
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- olive oil and butter
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Let the meat stand at room temperature one hour before cooking. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter with a little olive oil in a skillet. Sear roast over high heat on all sides. When the meat has browned, remove and transfer to a casserole dish.
- In the skillet, add the pancetta, garlic and onions. Cook until the pancetta and onions have a nice color.
- Add the liquids, mustard and deglaze (bring to a boil and scrape the bottom of the pan). Transfer the broth into the pan (should be at mid- height of the roast). If there is not enough liquid, add a little water. Add the fresh herbs.
- Cover and bake at 325 F for one hour, then reduce the oven to 200 F and bake for another 3 hours.
- Take the roast out of the oven and remove the meat from the casserole. Reserve the meat and reduce the cooking juices over medium - low heat until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. If the sauce is not thick enough for your taste, add a little Veloutine (potato based thickener). Serve roast slices topped with sauce.
Don’t forget to eat the roasted garlic on a slice of bread. It is pure delight!