Please note than we have temporarily stopped our activities on the farm.
Here is a recipe of veal stroganoff created one evening returning from a weekend at our neighbor’s cottage, we wanted a stew full of flavor in a creamy sauce, something to warm the heart and the belly – really good comfort food!
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 2 packs of cubes (around 3 pounds)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups white mushrooms, sliced in half (about 20 small mushrooms)
- 1/3 cup cognac or brandy
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. dried or chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ cup 15% cream (cooking cream)
- Let the meat stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 250 °F.
- In a large skillet, add oil and butter, sear cubes over high heat one minute on each side; transfer them to a Dutch oven or casserole.
- Then cook onions and mushrooms in butter until they are brown; transfer to your casserole.
- Deglaze the pan with the brandy, add the chicken broth, mustard and spices; stir to incorporate the flavors and transfer to your casserole.
- Cover and bake for 3 hours
Preparation of the cream
- When your meat is nearly done (usually after 3 hours), prepare the cream in a medium sized pot. Melt the butter and add the flour, the mixture will form a thick paste, cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add the cream and salt with a whisk to break up lumps. Take some broth from the stew and add it to the cream mixture whisking swiftly to obtain a smooth consistency. Repeat a few times until you have transferred almost all the broth to the cream.
- Pour the cream slowly into your stew and mix well.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve over egg noodles with a green salad on the side.