Please note than we have temporarily stopped our activities on the farm.
We first served this recipe at our wedding 10 years ago; yes we cooked our own wedding meal, 5 services for 25 people! Needless to say, we love this recipe so much that we have not yet tried our veal escalopes any other way. This recipe can be made in any amount needed and will make kids and grownups happy. Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 packs of veal escalopes (around 1 ½ pound)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and freshly grinded pepper
- 3/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs, seasoned with
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder,
- ½ teaspoon oregano,
- ½ teaspoon parsley and
- 3 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 eggs, beaten with a little water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup homemade tomato sauce ( seasoned with fresh garlic, oregano, salt and pepper – consistency must be thick and smooth)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Place the flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper and place the bread crumbs on a separate plate and add the seasonings.
- Prepare your eggs in a bowl large enough to dip the veal escalopes.
- Dip the veal in the flour to coat both sides and shake off excess.
- Dip in the egg wash, then the breadcrumbs to coat both sides.
- Place on a rack set on a sheet pan and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes to help the crumbs adhere.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and heat well. Add the veal, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry until nicely browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side, adjusting the heat if it browns too fast. Remove from pan and do the second batch, adding the remaining olive oil as needed.
- Set your oven to broil (only top element heats).
- Spread 2 tablespoons of sauce on each slice of veal. Top each with cheddar and Parmesan cheese. Place on a clean rack set in a baking sheet. Place under hot broiler just until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Serve with stuffed pasta on the side in a saffron cream sauce with a garden salad. This meal will be the star of any gathering!